I feel really good today: body, soul, and spirit. And that's not to be taken for granted, since I slept pretty poorly last night.
I think I just had a revelation. It's going to most likely sound prosaic, but I'm writin' it down anyway. I take it for granted at this point that the gospel of grace is true. We do not do good things so that God will love us. It just doesn't work that way. But what just became clear to me is that we don't automatically run out and do good things just because we learn God loves us. This is not some binary equation, a BASIC programming 'if-then' causation, Step One leading to Step Two. It's all one step. It's all about love. You can't stop it, or measure it, or even choose its direction. God's love pours out (or into us, if you prefer), and just keeps overflowing. We don't control it; flow, duration, or direction. We are just a part of God's astounding, inexorable plan. How cool is that?!?
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment