Marilyn and I met yesterday to talk about some things, and she suggested that I share this list that we made with you guys and my community group (well, she wrote it, but I agree that it's true). These are some of the good things that are happening in my life, to hopefully give you a better idea of how you guys can be praying for me:
Good Things
–I can read and focus. This was not true just a week ago.
–I don't feel angry all the time. This also was not true a week ago.
–I'm able to participate and contribute in community group, with what God is showing me.
–Every week, God (miraculously) enables me to write a worship guide.
–I have a community who loves me.
–I have family who loves me.
–I have a God who loves me and is working.
–God knows me, and is slowly but surely making me more like Jesus.
And there you have it.
Thanks for sharing Jeni, I'd encourage you to share this with your community group as well.
ReplyDeleteQuestions:
1. where do you feel joy and gratitude in your life right now? - can you find it? are you thanking God for it? are you asking him for more of it?
2. where in your life are you doing (or not doing) something simply out of love for God? eg. not b/c you're supposed to, not b/c you have to, not b/c it's good for you, but simply out of love for God and Jesus? - list some examples, and come up with some additional ways you could do this
I actually shared this with my community group even before I blogged it. Thanks for the questions: I'm actively working on answering the first one, but I need some help with the second.
ReplyDeleteCan someone provide an answer or two of their own? Because I can't even think of what a theoretical answer would look like, let alone one that applies to me specifically. Motivations are complicated, and I don't know how to untangle the question. Suggestions? Examples, anyone?
Thank you for your help.
Sure. As a pastor, am I getting up and going to worship b/c that's my job, or b/c God is beautiful to me and I just want to connect w/ him?
ReplyDeleteHere's another. As a guy, am I not looking at porn b/c I'm afraid of getting caught? Or b/c I actually love Jesus and want to honor him?
In other words, it's taking a closer look at my motivations - and I realize that's hard sometimes, b/c motivations ARE complicated.
At the same time, that doesn't mean I shouldn't examine them. The real question is how can I actually be honest with myself? And what do I do with what I find? Do I take it to God in repentance? (I am so sorry that I don't really love you in this area of my life - please forgive me and help me!) Do I actually see signs that God is changing me? (Wow! I actually WANTED to do the right thing for a change! Thank you Jesus for helping me!)
So I'm asking you to start to look at your motivations a bit and see what you discover.
Remember! We're looking for self-discovery for you - what can you learn about yourself that you didn't already know. THAT's what we're after here...
That help?