I'm starting to (at least attempting to) read my Bible with a (from a?) different perspective: Not "what can I get out of this?" but "How can I get in on this?" I want to live a better story. As Peterson puts it, "living life as a pilgrimage in the company of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Moses, and following Jesus.. in our daily, ordinary, working and worshiping lives." (Christ Plays)
And how do I go about living a better story? By somehow getting in on the Big Story. Isn't that the whole point of the Incarnation? Humans in their fallen state had chosen (and continue to choose) to live small, huddled lives. We turn inward. We doggedly protect our little perimeters, our limited spheres of influence. We build walls to keep the scary stuff out. And the walls slowly suffocate us. They leave us cramped and constricted, unable to see the vastness of creation all around us. We are supposed to be created in the image of God! How have we come to this?!?
And then God sends His Son "to share our human nature, to live and die as one of us, to reconcile us to you, the God and Father of all." (Book of Common Prayer p. 362)
Thursday, November 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment