Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Sight Problems

1. Which of the four insights from George's life are particularly needful for you?


A little background: this is a meditation about George, who is blind, and the things his blindness has taught him about how to live a better story. Here are the 4 insights:

1. There is no more important set of eyes than the eyes of the heart.
2. How important it is to humbly accept your blindness.
3. You always deal with your blindness in community with others.
4. Long for 20/20 vision.

For me, it's most decidedly the community thing. I am unaware of (blind to) so much of my sin, and I need others to (a) point it out to me and (b) help me live with more awareness and insight.

2. How could you make greater use of the community of insight that God has placed around you in the body of Christ?


I hate the phraseology of this question. I fear that I have done too much "using"of my community as it is. My needs and questions seem to have become repetitive. I think the better question would be, How can we as a community help one another live more fully? I know I have been greatly helped by friends pointing out my flaws to me in love... but when I have attempted to do the same for others, it hasn't gone over so well. It seems that what many people want is not deeper community, but just more fun people to hang with. Now that I have proven myself repeatedly to not always be entertaining company (for lack of a better gross understatement), there are those who now avoid me. I'm learning to live with that. But it doesn't make me eager to reach out again, that's for certain.

So I guess my answer to this question is, I just don't know. I continue to attempt to reach out and find ways to get more involved in our community, but without much forward progress. I'm afraid this one has me stumped. I know I need community; I don't know how to get it in a way where it's not just me being needy. I long for a community where we can help each other, where one person's strengths can help bolster another person's weaknesses. At this point it seems unattainable. But I refuse to give up hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment