Thursday, January 21, 2010

Lost in the Wilderness

I've spent more than a week agonizing over this assignment, and these are the first marks I've managed to put on the page. Where do you begin your wilderness story when you're still lost within it? But with the understanding that one must begin somewhere, I'm prepared to give it a shot, in hopes of not losing any more sleep over the project...

Everybody's wilderness looks different. For some it feels like life is just crumbling around the edges. For others of us, it's more like a chasm opening at our feet. Even if you manage not to fall into it, pretending it isn't there is like trying to ignore the elephant in the bedroom. Occasionally you get too close to the edge and fall in. Sometimes you intentionally walk into it, because you're being chased by something big and it seems like the only way to escape.

I suppose “the wilderness” is as old as original sin itself. After all, the first thing God did once we turned our backs on perfection was throw Adam and Eve out of the Garden, into the unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment